October is the month of Breast Cancer awareness. As a young lady it is important to self- examine yourself from time to time. The purpose of the self-examination is to feel for a lump around your breast. Here are five steps to self-examine yourself at home.
1. Begin by looking at your breasts in the mirror with your shoulders straight and your arms on your hips. Here's what you should look for:
Breasts that are their usual size, shape, and color
Breasts that are evenly shaped without visible distortion or swelling
2. Now, raise your arms and look for the same changes.
3. While you're at the mirror, look for any signs of fluid coming out of one or both nipples (this could be a watery, milky, or yellow fluid or blood).
4. Next, feel your breasts while lying down, using your right hand to feel your left breast and then your left hand to feel your right breast. Use a firm, smooth touch with the first few finger pads of your hand, keeping the fingers flat and together. Use a circular motion, about the size of a quarter.
5. Finally, feel your breasts while you are standing or sitting. Many women find that the easiest way to feel their breasts is when their skin is wet and slippery, so they like to do this step in the shower. Cover your entire breast, using the same hand movements described in step 4.
If you feel a lump or notice anything unusual schedule an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible.